Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Marriage

Today is our fourth wedding anniversary. It doesn't seem like it has been that long, maybe because we have only known each other for four and a half. :) Nevertheless, we have been through so much in the past four years, and I know the next four and the next FORTY will bring many more changes! (And hopefully more babies. :) )

We bought a house, got a dog, had a baby, bought a car, I quit my job, I stayed home with Bella for five months, I got a new job, and now we are having another baby! In 4 anniversaries, I have  been pregnant for two of them! And both during the summer....but that's a different post!

I have been thinking about marriage a lot lately and what it means to me and what I have learned. I think so many people in life view marriage as just another relationship, just something they can walk away from if it doesn't go the way they want or if it gets "too hard." I think this is  how society displays marriage and it's sad, because that is absolutely not what marriage is meant to be.

Marriage is HARD. It is not easy and if anyone ever tells you it is, they are lying! It is not always hard of course, we have a ton of fun together and get along great most of the time. But making decisions and choices while considering someone else's feelings and opinions in everything you do (as it should be) is so hard! It's hard not to be selfish, it's hard to worry about someone else all the time, it's hard to disagree, it's hard to deal with another person 24/7!

For example, I never pick up my shoes. I take them off when I get home and leave them wherever they land. Joe hates this! He is always putting them away for me or asking me why I never put my shoes away. On the opposite hand, Joe is very forgetful. I hate repeating myself! I have to tell him the same thing 5 times sometimes before it sticks!

Of course these are little things, and in the grand scheme of life there are so many problems that come at a marriage that challenge you, what you believe in, who you are, and why you married this person. I believe when these challenges come, they are meant to make you stronger as a couple. When you get married, you become one person. You make decisions together, you raise your children together, you go to church together, etc. Together is the key word. If you try to be independent and do things on your own, it just doesn't work.

I know that I have only been married four years, and even in my mind that seems like such a short amount of time. But we have been through struggles, we have had big fights, we have left the house angry. That's just part of it. It is not all fun and games. Learning to live with and share your life with another person is hard for everyone. I have to say what I think keeps us on track is God. We are not perfect by any means. We both have so many areas in our spiritual lives that we need to work on. But we love God and our relationship works so much better and smoother when we keep him in the middle of it.

I don't even really know what I'm saying here, just that I love my husband. I love him so much. He is a wonderful man. He is a great father, a great husband, a great teacher, and a great leader. He works hard for our family and I'm so blessed he chose me. There is no one else in this world I would rather be on this road with. I know our relationship is blessed, I know we are meant to be together, and I am reminded of that all the time. I love him I love him I love him.

On our honeymoon in 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment